Cool New Tarot and Creative Funding Projects

Hello Friends! I know....I've been bad....I haven't posted nearly as often as I intended! There are lots of changes happening (more on those at another time) but I'm here now and ready to get into a topic that I absolutely adore: TAROT!

I have many Tarot decks....though certainly not as many as some and not as many as I would like! But Tarot has always fascinated me and been one of my favorite forms of divination and guidance. The meanings of the cards can provide the most simple and direct form of guidance....or it can be the most savory, complex layered reading that covers every aspect of your past, present and future.
Additionally, I love the abundance of art that you can have in the palm of your hand, as well as how the traditional images of Tarot inspire other artistic creations.

Tarot has become a favorite medium for many budding artists and collaborations of established ones. Tarot provides a way of getting creative, exploring a variety of themes, colors and conditions. For those of us who use Tarot, we know exactly how rich a canvas it can be, and recently it seems many others are discovering it as well. Not all Tarot artists are 'believers' in the divination side....some are simply utilizing Tarot as a means to self-expression and a way to promote their art. I'm okay with that...for Tarot in all its forms resonates and inspires me.
Halloween Tarot 
My favorite deck for MANY years has been the Halloween Tarot by Kipling West and Karin Lee.  I adore the whimsical imagery, as Halloween is my favorite holiday. The suits are Ghosts (Cups), Bats (Swords), Pumpkins (Pentacles) and Imps (Wands). The Major Arcana cards are also a treat (no pun intended) as they use creatures like Frankenstein's monster, vampires and werewolves entwined through the traditional cards.The consistent presence of the Black Cat on every card ties all of the deck together and for Halloween lovers THIS is one must-have Tarot deck!

Sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo have many artists trying to get funding to have their decks printed and many have been successful. Tarot inspired artworks have also found 'crowd funding' through generous contributors and now they can share their works with a larger audience. Gorgeous art and a love for Tarot prompted me to share a few of their pages so that you, too, might find a deck you love...or at least, would love to promote! Let's get started!







Psychobilly Tarot

I recently supported this project on Kickstarter and I'm happy to report they have met their funding goal! For lovers of Rockabilly or Psychobilly music, this is a gem. Favorite card: The Chariot-featuring Johnny Cash behind the wheel of an awesome hot rod!







Tarot of Delphi
This gorgeous 'fine art' Tarot deck is also the product of a successful Kickstarter campaign! Favorite card: The High Priestess-the very image of John Collier's famous painting 'The Priestess of Delphi'.








Tarot Pink for Cancer
What's not to love about this deck? Promoted as a 'healing tool' with multiple creative collaborators.  The proceeds from this beautiful and empowering deck benefit breast cancer research.
Favorite Card: Queen of Cups....gracefully sitting on her throne, water moving around her, bird flying high into the sky and pink banners waving around her. You can just feel the power of hope...





The Ghetto Tarot
This project is so powerful, and it is not the only photography project inspired by Tarot. Photographer, Alice Smeets, played off  a project from 1909 by artist Pamela Colman Smith. The result are these amazing images of the Tarot, recreated in the Haitian ghetto. I am so happy to say this Indiegogo project has definitely been fully funded and much acclaimed. I hope to own a deck myself very soon! Favorite card: The 5 of cups...it takes my breath away...

I do hope that from time to time you'll check out some of those start up funding sites. Initially, I was hesitant to do so. I'm not wealthy and my instinct was telling me to hold onto every penny I have. However, I realized that I am blessed, and as Tarot is something that brings me much joy, it was good to help out and bring these projects to life. A blessing shared is a blessing multiplied....that's the kind of magick we all can create every day. The $5 I give toward funding a deck I like, will help those artists stay inspired and continue to create.
Or...if Tarot is not your thing...there are a gazillion other causes and projects that need help. From soup to nuts....artistic expressions or delightful cookbooks....restoring history or personal aid....many people need a hand somewhere and have openly asked for support. Why not take a look at some of these sites and see if something sparks your interest?
Indiegogo
Kickstarter
GofundMe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bad Pagan

Cutting ties...

Saturday Cawfee Klatsch! 5/24/14